Tarte Rainforest of the Sea Water Foundation

Under the sea, under the sea, darling it's better down where it's wetter, take it from me!
Up on the shore they work all day, out in the sun they slave away, while we devotin' full time to floatin' Under the sea!

Sorry... Couldn't help but add a Little Mermaid music break given this product's name...

Time for a good ole beauty babble!
I normally buy my foundations from drugstores, where it is hit or miss, emphasis on miss, if they will work for me. Usually they end up too chalky, or too oily, or just too dark for my bordering on translucent skin tone. They are the Three Bears of makeup, and it a rare occurrence to find that "just right". So, finally, I decided to be a big girl, and make my wallet cower in fear, and purchase some high end foundation.
I got inspired to do so after I finally bought a pricier concealer from NARS a while back (review here) and was thrilled, so figured it was about time to up my foundation game too.

I was going to maybe give a Urban Decay foundation a go, but then I saw this product in a favorites video on YouTube, and, being a sucker for packaging, I have no qualms in admitting the cute box and bottle caught my eye.

A sign of just how much I love this foundation? A couple days after buying it I went back to Sephora specifically to buy the matching brush! You got me Tarte! Take my money!


Given the water foundation moniker on the box, I think it is safe to assume this is water based more than oil based. Which my skin has been more on the oily side than dry lately, so I think being water based works for my skin. I could also just be speaking out of my butt, but this hypothesis sounds logical.
I bought the shade Fair Neutral, as "so pale I think I may be able to see through you" was not in stock that day, I guess. I normally go for the alabaster, fair, fair light, and just plain light buzzwords when finding a foundation, but I swatched a tester on my wrist at the store and this one looked like a really good match. I even went to the window to look at the swatch in natural light, LIKE A DAMN PROFESSIONAL!



I have to have a tiny ramble about the beautiful packaging. I really like the gradient blue to purple box, and the gold gradient bottle topper. The bottle is also made of frosted real glass, and feels very sturdy and heavy. The bottle is also pretty big, so I feel like you get a lot of foundation for your buck. Especially since it has really good coverage, and is on the slightly watery side, so you don't need much of it. I think one bottle will last a hot minute.

One thing about the glass packaging is that I would not recommend bringing this foundation as a travel companion, unless you wish for glass and makeup everywhere, which if so, you do you, but I'll pass. This is definitely a home product to stay on your vanity and look pretty.




The major thing that takes a bit to get used to, and I don't think everyone is a fan of, is the applicator. I already knew about it thanks to the YouTube video I saw, but it is actually a - I'm not sure what to call it - syringe? that you fill by pressing the little button on the top of the bottle topper. As you can see from the picture I have of the applicator, it is wicked messy looking. The applicator isn't hard to use at all, it is just on the odd side, and not something I see a lot with foundations personally. I will usually drip a few drops on the back of my hand and apply that to my face with the brush. I really do not know of any other way to use it, and this way works perfectly.



As a mentioned in the beginning of the post, I also picked up Tarte's matching foundation brush.
I didn't like applying this foundation with my fingers, as I normally do, I think because it is a thinner formula, - *cough* and the brush was really pretty *cough* - and I have never bought high end, good brushes before, I usually buy those little drugstore box sets for like $10, so thought I would live large and put that last nail in my wallet's coffin!




The brush itself is very cool to look at. It has those tricolored bristles that I see all the pricey brushes have, no clue why they look like that, but damn they look cool. I also love the gold & purple gradient like the bottle topper.

The bristles are very soft, don't shed at all, really hold product well, and blend the foundation nicely on my dumb face.
The brush is also double-sided, one large side to apply foundation on your forehead, cheeks, etc, and a smaller, more cone shaped side for smaller areas like your nose, under eyes, chin, and any small blemishes.

I am just getting drawn in more and more by these more expensive higher end products, and if they keep performing as great as they have thus far, my wallet may need to hide and get itself in the witness protection program.

Overall, I recommend this product for anyone else looking for a light-feeling but good coverage foundation. I love wearing it and love how nice it makes my skin look without looking cakey or overdone.

I bought the Tarte Rainforest of the Sea Foundation for $39.00, and the Rainforest of the Sea Double-sided Foundation Brush for $34.00, both at my local Sephora.

Thanks for reading! To see more beauty reviews I've done click here.








Follow

Post a Comment

Follow Me