O.P.I Desperately Seeking Sequins and Glitter Off Base Coat Swatches & Review

Sorry I haven't posted in a few days! I could lie and say I was very, very busy, but the delay was just because of pure, unadulterated laziness... And a wallet killing trip to an outlet mall, which I will post about soon, because it was terrible for my bank account, and awesome for my closet.

But let us use this lovely Saturday to talk about some nail polish!
I know many a beauty blogger has already reviewed the O.P.I Glitter Off Base Coat, so this is old news, but I was really happy to get my hands on it, and wanted to share my thoughts on it, as well as an amazing glitter polish called Desperately Seeking Sequins, from O.P.I's Spotlight on Glitter Collection, which is a set of six polishes focusing on holographic, metallic, and glitter shades.

O.P.I Desperately Seeking Sequins
O.P.I Glitter Off Base Coat.
First up is the Glitter Off Base Coat. As you may well know, this base coat is a peelable base coat, made to be worn underneath glitter and textured polishes to save yourself the hassle of removing them.
The little instruction tab states to apply one thin coat, then wait for it to turn from white to clear. Then when you are ready to remove, just push and pull it up.

O.P.I Glitter Off Base Coat drying.
That advice did not work for me! My nails apparently like to really hold on to nail polish, because when I used one thin coat, I couldn't remove the polish at all. So, in this picture I ended up using two thicker coats, and that seemed to work for me, though it did take a bit longer to dry.
This base coat is very thick, and smells strongly of Elmer's glue, which is weird. It also has the same consistency as glue as well. I know some nail bloggers like to use Elmer's glue in this same way, so maybe O.P.I used some similar ingredients...
Anyway, this polish also comes with a very thin brush, which is a little annoying, I wish they would use the normal brushes, but it isn't that big of a deal.
The only problem I had with this base coat is that it worked too well! Within the first day, I had whole coats of nail polish just pop off! I have a picture coming up to prove it. This may have been because I put too many coats on, but either way, it still was nice to be able to take off glitter shades without declaring war. I just had to play around with the thickness of my coats until I got the right amount.

O.P.I Desperately Seeking Sequins.
Close up of Desperately Seeking Sequins.
Now it's time for glitter! Desperately Seeking Sequins is a thick, gel-like, clear base, densely packed with rainbow holographic mini hex and bar glitter particles.
Because of the clear base, I knew full coverage would be difficult, so I applied it over two coats of Sinful Colors Out of This World, a shimmery, silver polish.
Even after applying both polishes you can still some of my free-edge, but I don't really mind. I applied four medium coats, followed by my Essie Super Duper Top Coat.

Desperately Seeking Sequins under lamp.


Desperately Seeking Sequins in natural light.
Told you the base coat worked a bit too well! But I will say, it leaves my nails really smooth, and I've used it with brightly colored textured polishes, and it was good at preventing nail discoloration as well.
I would recommend it, just play around with the amount of coats you use. Since this swatch, I've found one relatively thick coat works well for me.

As for Desperately Seeking Sequins, I can't get over the insane holo-glitter this polish contains!
The second I saw it at my local beauty supply I had to own this glitter bomb. Pictures can't even properly show the beautiful sparkle, which is disappointing, but take my word for it, it is gorgeous.
I normally pass on silver glitter, it never really appeals to me, and I find them to be a bit boring, but not this one.

Both Desperately Seeking Sequins and the Glitter Off Base Coat retail for around $8, and can be found online, or at your local beauty supply store.

Thanks for reading! To check out other swatches and reviews click here. Or, if your looking for a review of a specific polish or product why not take a look at my Product Directory.
-xo Brittany

What are your thoughts on O.P.I's Glitter Off Base Coat? Let me know in the comments!

Follow on Bloglovin

Post a Comment

Follow Me