Deborah Lippmann Glitter in the Air Dupe

I haven't made a dupe post in a long time! Obviously because I would rather not buy two identical nail polishes. But sometimes it is really hard to recall what shades I already own, and that is when a duplicate happens.
Now, like I said, this was a complete accident. I know other dupe posts I have done, I have actively looked for a dupe of the more expensive polish, but not this time! I was going crazy on Ulta's website during a sale, and decided to finally buy my first ever Deborah Lippmann polish. Now, at $20 a pop, this polish is not a everyday purchase for me! So I browsed through Ulta's selection for far too long until I finally settled on the gorgeous Glitter in the Air. I thought it was so unique and beautiful. And it is... But I was organizing my collection when I was shocked to discover that I own Revlon Whimsical, another gorgeous and unique shade, that just happens to look almost exactly like Glitter in the Air, only this polish was $9!
I will admit, some profanities were said... I was so excited to have my first Deborah Lippmann shade, so it was a bit upsetting to discover I already had it! But let us use this opportunity to see which polish is best, the $20 Deborah Lippmann, or the $9 Revlon.

Deborah Lippmann Glitter in the Air vs. Revlon Whimsical.

Deborah Lippmann Glitter in the Air.

First let's talk about Glitter in the Air, a blue toned, pale mint base, full of mid-size and fine hex glitter in rose gold and metallic blue. The base is sheer, and barely tinted on the nail on the first coat.
It has a sheer, jelly like formula, so the coats slightly layer on top of each other, creating a nice depth.
The glitter is a little hard to get out of the bottle, so I had to fish it out with the brush a bit, as well as spread the glitter out on my nails to avoid clumping.
I applied this shade over bare nails for my swatches, but opacity would be better achieved with a base color. Like most jelly formulas, it takes many coats to reach complete opacity on its own, but I reached nice coverage after four medium coats. Though I did have to apply my coats thicker than normal to get a good balance of glitter.

Revlon Whimsical.

Whimsical has the exact same mid-sized and micro hex glitters in rose gold and metallic blue, but with a more green toned mint base. It also has the same jelly-like formula, but it is a lot more watery. Just like with the Deborah Lippmann, I had issues with glitter placement, but with a different problem. Instead of not being able to fish the glitter particles out, I couldn't get the glitter to stay on! The watery base made the glitter easy to get out of the bottle, but it also made it just as easy for it to get swept away by the brush. So I had to place the glitters onto my nails, while trying not to simultaneously wipe them away.
Whimsical has the same sheer jelly-like formula as Glitter in the Air, so each coat also creates a nice depth, but the tint is a lot more faint, so reaching a nice opacity took five super thick coats.

Now for some swatches! I finished both polishes off with my Essie Super Duper Top Coat, and labeled them R for revlon, and DL for Deborah Lippmann... Duh...:p




Swatches in sunlight.
Overall:
I love both polishes. I think the mix of glitter is really eye catching, and looks lovely with both base colors.
As I've mentioned, this is my first ever Deborah Lippmann shade, so maybe I'm a little biased, but I do prefer its formula, it is a tad bit easier to work with, and a lot less watery than the Revlon shade. I also like the Lippmann shades base color more, while the glitter is obviously identical, the blue base is more flattering on my skin tone than the green base of Revlon, which looks kind of dingy in comparison.

Glitter in the Air retails for $20, which is pretty steep, so at only $9, I think Whimsical is a really good replacement if you don't like the heavy price tag of Deborah Lippmann polishes.

For me, Glitter in the Air wins, but it was a very close race. And I still can't believe I bought both of these shades without even noticing it!

Thanks for reading! To check out other dupes I've found click here.
-xo Brittany
Follow on Bloglovin
Which polish do you prefer? Glitter in the Air or Whimsical? Let me know in the comments!

Post a Comment

Follow Me