O.P.I Push and Shove Swatches & Review

I know, I know. A ton of nail bloggers have already swatched and shared opinions about this polish countless times. But bear with me! I have a lot of polishes, and not enough hours in the day. :p So this beauty has been sitting in my photo folder just waiting to be shared, and I thought why not share it today!

By the way, while I'm writing this I am in a sea of nostalgia, as I watch The Secret of Nimh! Anyone else love this movie? I used to watch it on an almost daily basis as a kid, so It's nice to watch it again as an adult. It is still as wonderful as it was back then.

O.P.I Push and Shove.
Anyway, let's talk about O.P.I's Push and Shove. A collaboration with Gwen Stefani (Who I have been a fan of ever since my brother gave me my first No Doubt album as a kid.), this polish is the highlight of the collection. A metallic, shimmery chrome, that creates an almost mirrored chrome finish on your nails. This polish comes in a duet pack with Lay Down That Base, a specialty base coat made especially for Push and Shove.  
O.P.I Push and Shove & Lay Down That Base.
Close up of Push and Shove.
As I mentioned, Push and Shove is a metallic, chrome-like polish, with a nice shimmer in the bottle. This is not like normal polishes, in that it is only meant to be worn for a night. Think of it as the Cinderella of polishes. After one night it will turn into an unattractive pumpkin, aka, it will chip and crack like you wouldn't believe!
Like most reviewers of this polish, I took issue with the application. It's not that the formula is bad, on the contrary it is very nice and smooth, and doesn't take too many coats to get even coverage. The problem is that it takes no prisoners! If you have even one ridge or bump on your nails, this polish will show the world! I attempted to help it by gently buffing and filing my nails, but to no avail. You can still see all the ridges my poor nails were dealing with at the time this polish was swatched. They look better now, but I admit, I am a polish peeler, leading to the ridges you see before you. Sorry nails!

To apply this polish you need to first apply a thin coat of Lay Down That Base, let it completely dry, then apply only two thin coats of Push and Shove. No more. Otherwise you risk creating too many brush strokes, and ruining the chrome finish. Though it is impossible to leave no brush strokes, the polish is just too finicky for that. You also have to skip your top coat. Another reason why this polish only lasts one night.

Push and Shove under lamp.




I was surprised to find that my manicure lasted longer than I expected, it stayed relatively chip free until day two. Though I did see some of my free-edges peeking through after only a few hours of wear, but it was really only noticeable to me.

I love the chrome effect, I just wish my nails where smoother, so the effect would be nicer to look at. But I have a feeling not many people have nails perfect enough to do this polish justice, so I'll take what I can get. Even with my poor nails I still love the look of this polish, it is so cool looking.

One weird thing I noticed is that this polish doesn't chip like others do, it comes off in flakes, similar to gold leaf. One bonus of that is, once it touches polish remover, it melts like butter. A fine improvement after fighting with glitter and textured polishes on a daily basis!

Since this polish doesn't have much staying power, it really isn't the best base for any designs, but I will hint that I managed to create a small one using Push and Shove, and I will be posting it later this week, so keep an eye out!

Overall, I think this is a cool idea, and while it has been done before, I like this polish. I just wish it was a little bit more forgiving on the nails.

Push and Shove can be found at beauty retailers and online. It retails for around $10.

Thanks for reading! To read my previous Swatch & Reviews click here. Or to look for a review of a particular polish or product, why not check out my Product Directory.

What are your thoughts on O.P.I Push and Shove? Let me know in the comments!

Follow on Bloglovin

2 comments

  1. I must have been living under a rock as this is the first review Ive seen of it haha. Lovely pictures hun and it maybe one I need in my collection

    New follower on Blogluvin
    Carrieanne x
    http://beautiesunlocked.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And thank you for following. :)

      Delete

Follow Me